Supporting Teachers: Get Real Teacher Training
There are two options for teachers interested in getting trained in Get Real. Teachers can come to a four-day in-person training offered throughout the year or they can complete our self-paced online course plus one day of in-person training.
Four Day In-Person Training
The in-person training includes the three-day general sexuality education training, the Sexuality Education Certification Series (SECS), (for full description please go to www.pplm.org/training) plus a fourth day focused solely on the Get Real curriculum. The teacher training provides an in-depth look at the theories underpinning Get Real, as well as specific lessons in the curriculum. In addition to the elements listed in the SECS description, graduates of this course are able to:
- Effectively teach the Get Real curriculum
- Gain skills for engaging parents as the primary sexuality educators of their children
- Understand how to create a safe and open sex education classroom
- Recognize the importance of teaching about delaying sex and gain tools for teaching it effectively
- Understand the range of perspectives in sexuality education
Self-Paced Online Course
The online course, which is self-paced (but must be completed within six weeks), includes six sessions plus an orientation session. It offers much of the same information as the Sexuality Education Certification Series, with more of a Get Real focus, while offering a flexible option for teachers who cannot leave their classrooms for the four-day in-person training. Online course expectations for participants include:
- approximately three hours per session exploring the online lessons
- completing the reading assignments
- posting comments on the online discussion boards
- viewing, watching, and listening to interactive lessons
Expert trainers lead the course and are available for technical assistance and support.
One Day In-Person Training
Once the trainee has completed the online course, he/she is then free to sign up to attend the next one-day Get Real in-person training. Participants are able to earn PDPs and NASW continuing education hours for attending this course.
Joining an Upcoming Training
If you are teaching at a school that uses Get Real and you are interested in joining an upcoming training, please contact us at email@example.com or call us at 617-616-1672.
If your school has not yet purchased Get Real and you’re interested in implementing it, please contact us for more information.