About Get Real
Our goal is to expand and support quality comprehensive sex education in schools through teacher training and curriculum implementation.
Key Points about Get Real: Comprehensive Sex Education that Works
- Designed to delay the initiation of sexual intercourse
- Engages and supports parents as the primary sexuality educators of their children
- Provides medically accurate and age-appropriate information
- Built on a Social Emotional Learning approach that emphasizes relationship skills as the key to making healthy decisions about sex
- Designed to encourage correct and consistent use of protection methods when students become sexually active
- Encourages institutionalization of comprehensive sex education programming in schools by training and supporting teachers and engaging a community-wide approach to bring the curriculum to the school
The middle school component is designated as a Promising Program according to CDC criteria and is currently being rigorously evaluated to be assessed as an Evidence Based Approach to preganancy and STI prevention.